LabCidade – Laboratório Espaço Público e Direito à Cidade (“Public Space and Right to the City Laboratory” in English), an action research laboratory of the Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism at the University of São Paulo, in Brazil, is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to the project “Cartographic methodologies for epidemics monitoring, prevention and recovery”, coordinated by Prof. Raquel Rolnik and included in the COVID-19 UN Research Roadmap Fast-Track.
This opportunity is open to candidates of any nationality. The selected candidate will receive a Post-Doctoral fellowship from the FAPESP (São Paulo State Research Foundation) in the amount of R$ 8,479.20 monthly and a research contingency fund, equivalent to 15% of the annual value of the fellowship which should be spent in items directly related to the research activity.
Candidates must be proficient in one or more of the following areas: digital cartography, social cartography, geostatistics, public policy, geoepidemiology, epidemics, pandemics and demography.
The person awarded the scholarship will lead multiscale cartographic readings and analysis, aimed at monitoring, preventing and recovering from epidemics.
Based on the investigation of the territorialization of the pandemic and its impacts on the Metropolitan Region of São Paulo, the main result of the research will be the creation of a methodology for territorial reading, which combines different scales and tools, capable of helping public managers and local agents in dealing with new waves of COVID-19 or new epidemic outbreaks, as well as identifying impacts of the health crisis and thus assisting in the design of recovery policies and actions that impact those affected more effectively.
The research will operate on a metropolitan scale, georeferencing and analyzing secondary data, and exploring different dynamics from a socio-economic and territorial demographic point of view. After the metropolitan reading, the research moves to the local scale, in a municipality and in a neighborhood of the metropolis, where cartographic readings will be produced together with local agents – based on the exploration of experimental cartographic methodologies, collective mapping and social cartography.
- To advance in the theoretical-conceptual and practical instruments necessary for the construction of the territorial reading methodology;
- Insert the territorial scope in the questions and information raised during the research, as well as promote analyzes at different scales;
- Coordinate the cartographic production, both the thematic cartography generated from secondary sources, and the research activities carried out on a local scale, mobilizing the different methodologies and references to carry out experiences of collective mapping and social cartography in the research territories.
- Organization of international bibliography on cartographic methods, seeking multidisciplinary and multiscale correlations;
- Dialogue with research interlocutors, in territories where analyzes are carried out on a local scale;
- Conduct geoprocessing workshops;
- Coordinate scientific activities and workshops with social cartography and other experimental methods of collective mapping;
- Write articles and organize seminars and other events.
- be framed in the FAPESP and University of São Paulo postdoctoral norms, especially with Res CoPq number 7406;
- title of doctor or equivalent (PhD) obtained in the last 7 years;
- academic texts published in peer-reviewed journals in the last 5 years;
- International research experience;
- full dedication to the project; candidate cannot receive salaries or revenue from another source except under the conditions established in the FAPESP Resolution number 13/2009;
- Availability for face-to-face work at LabCidade (Rua do Lago, 876 – São Paulo – SP – Brazil);
- curriculum published on the Lattes Platform;
- foreign candidates must demonstrate full command of Portuguese in the cover letter and in the interview; advanced level of English is also recommended.
Candidates must send to email@example.com, until March 10, 2023, the following documents:
- FAPESP curriculum summary + e-mail and contact number
(INSTRUCTIONS at www.fapesp.br/sumula)
- Graduate academic record
(master’s and doctorate)
- cover letter of up to 1500 words containing your reasons for interest in the project and your relevant skills
The documentation of the candidate selected by the LabCidade team will be submitted for evaluation by FAPESP, which will be responsible for approving or rejecting the scholarship.